Tuesday 20 May 2014

Blogging Against The Clock

Andy Warhol Said Everyone Would Be Famous for 15 minutes - And You Can Write A Blog Post in that time
I have blogged before about doing a blog post in 15 minutes.  This has developed into quite an interesting habit.  I now regularly write 15 minute blog posts for several of my blogs.  (Needless to say this is one such post).  While there are obviously lots of topics that simply can't be dealt with so quickly,  I have been surprised at just how much you can cram into writing and get online in a quarter of an hour.  This is how I do it -


1. I try to get the idea of the post and even some of the actual text in my head while doing something else like washing up or walking to the shops.
2. Set a timer.  (I use Howler, but any will do.)
3. I do all the ancillary stuff like sorting out an illustration, a label and scheduling first.  This gives me more thinking time.  It also makes what I am working on a blog post, not some notes.
4. I get the main points down as quickly as possible, often in the form of a list.
4. I try to get the last sentence done with a few minutes to spare.

The key thing is not to do further research or look for handy links while you are concentrating on getting the text together.  Ideally your fingers should not stop at any point during the composition phase.

Sometimes you can leave it in list form - other times you can quickly put it into a paragraph format.

As I say, you won't come up with truly great work this way.  But regular blogging is a great thing to do for any number of reasons and it is good to have content you can slot in whenever you are going through a dry patch or are too busy with other projects to produce knock-out work.


Photo credit: tind via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment