Sunday 20 July 2014

Steve Pavlina - You Got Dumped



Well not entirely dumped.

I have been writing this blog under the name the Steve Pavlina Reader for some time now.  Almost from the day I coined the name Steve Pavlina started to drift out of my consciousness.   I still read and recommend his stuff.  In fact at time of writing his most recent blog post is about giving up social media entitled  'Social Media You Got Dumped'.  It is as always a very well written and thought provoking piece.  Well worth a look.  This isn't about him, it's about me.  I have been looking at more and more different sources of inspiration, including my own experiences recently.  I realised that the name of the blog was making me give Steve Pavlina more attention than he deserved.  So from now on I'll work under the name "Personal Development For Sensible People".  This is still a respectful homage to Steve's "Personal Development For Smart People" so I haven't entirely rejected him.


 I just need to adjust the focus of this blog to more accurately reflect what I am trying to do with it.  I am treating it as a sort of a scratchpad where I can write ideas down before trying them.  I want to record the results of different things I have tried and my conclusions about them.  I will also use it to keep my notes on things I have read that might prove to be useful.

What personal development has come to mean to me is basically trying to work out new and better ways to live and achieve my goals.  My goals are simple ones that don't really need a lot of explanation.   I want to achieve the kind of financial independence that enables me to live comfortably myself and support my immediate family.  I want to be as healthy as my biology allows and I'd like sufficient leisure time to pursue my interests in science and history.

These relatively modest goals seem to fill my days pretty effectively and I am trying to find better ways to achieve them.  My main focus at the moment are two big sub-goals on which much of what I hope to succeed at depend.  I need to become and excellent time manager and a superb project manager.  In one sense I am treating my life as a project to be managed.

This blog is primarily for my own benefit, but if anyone else finds it helpful then that is good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment