Sunday 29 April 2012

Top Five Regrets of the Dying



The Guardian ran a post back in February that I have gone back to several times.  It was by a nurse who has kept note of all the regrets expressed by people who are dying.  It is a bit of mournful thing to consider, but on the other hand it is worth thinking what we are going to regret when we get to that stage.


This is the list.

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.
3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

The one that resonates most with me is number 5.   It is so easy to forget that happiness is as much a choice as anything else.  There are some things that have to be met with courage and fortitude, but most days we are more likely to come across things that can, and should, make us happy.  Why deny them to ourselves?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/01/top-five-regrets-of-the-dying?

No comments:

Post a Comment