Saturday 14 April 2012

My Biggest Problem at the Moment - Dithering


I have just made a last minute decision to skip a trade show I was booked up for and put in a day's work at my desk instead.  It made superb sense.  I might miss out on a few longer term things but I have a big meeting tomorrow where the short term stuff will be under some scrutiny.  I have had a couple of things outside my control that have derailed my work a little.  So here I am ready to get things back on track and with a load of extra hours I hadn't budgeted for earlier in the week.  So far, so good.

But am I forging ahead making the best of all this extra time?  Er, no.  I am dithering about. It isn't that I am exactly wasting time.  Everything I have done needs to be done. But somehow none of it is the urgent stuff that I diverted myself to get on with.  It isn't as if I don't have a plan or a worked out strategy.  There is just something so appealing about quick jobs that you can spend a few minutes on. 

So how do I tackle this?  I think I need some serious shutting off of distractions.   I have to get away from the computer and focus on what I have to do.  Seek out the whales and ignore the herrings.  Otherwise I will be busy, productive, totally engaged and totally failing to achieve what I need to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment