Wednesday 24 September 2014

Go Home On Time



Today is national Go Home On Time day here in the UK.

Looking back on my 30 year career as a scientist/manager/entrepreneur I can say without any doubt that going home on time is an extremely good idea.  In fact it is not just a good idea to do it, it is a good idea to start the day with the intention of going home on time.  That is your goal for the day.  When the hours you are paid for are used up, stop working.


This is completely hypocritical of me because this is advice I would never have followed until about 5 years ago, and wouldn't have even listened to until I read the marvellous Time Power by Brian Tracy.  I used to never think about leaving until 6, rarely got away before 7 and would usually bring work home with me when I finally let myself go.

Looking back on it none of these long hours did the remotest good.

Here are  few facts which I can't prove but nonetheless know to be the case.

- Eight hours of solid work is a heck of a lot.  It is a rare day anyone can achieve this much.
- Planning your work for half an hour is more productive than putting in an extra 2 hours.
- Most of what we do doesn't even need doing in the first place.
- Wasting time on trivia is so easy and effortless that I think it must have found a get out clause in the fine print of the laws of thermodynamics

The reality is simple.  Start your day by planning what you are going to do, making sure that you are planning to do the things that are important.  Stick to your plan through all but the most unavoidable of interruptions.  Aim to finish with 15 minutes to spare at the end of the day.  Use those 15 minutes to review how much you achieved.  Use the lessons from that review for the planning process the next day.

If you keep this up for any length of time you will achieve far more than trying to clock up 60 hours of time on the job.

Now go home and enjoy your life.



Photo credit: mkosut via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment