Tuesday 27 September 2016

Breaking My Twitter Habit



I really love Twitter, but I love it too much.  I spend way too much time on it and when I am not on it I spend way too much time thinking about clever things to say on it.  The only trouble is, the other things in my life which take more effort to achieve pay bigger dividends when I achieve them.   So I need to cut it down, right down.  I am thinking Sunday only.


The trouble is that is a really addictive thing.  So I need to find alternatives.

I have decided that I cannot trust myself anywhere that is only a few clicks away from the little blue bird, so I will try and displace my Twitter addiction onto index cards.  My vision is that I will have a set of index cards on which I can plan my work, review my goals and keep myself entertained.  The strategy is to let my fingers guide my brain away from the entertaining but trivial onto the serious and important.

This is the plan at any rate.  The big thing will be to see just how compelling I can make my index cards.  My first thought was that it somewhat resembles Merlin Mann's hipster PDA.  But I want something a bit more compelling - it has to be something that I want to work on.

I don't have the ideas yet, but I do have the cards and a pencil.  I'll see what turns up.  The first step is to come up with a name for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment