Saturday 5 September 2015

Giving Up Social Media for a Month - The Post Mortem

I gave up social media for a month on an impulse.  It was the middle of the morning.  I had loads to do.  I hadn't got round to starting anything.  I was miserable,  But I had managed to fit in my usual social media habits around my lack of achievement.  Was social media holding me back?  I didn't know, but like everyone I much prefer finding a scapegoat to actually thinking a problem through.  So there and then I decided I would give it up for a month and see what effect it had on my life.


This was a classic bit of "shoot, aim, load" behaviour and I really hadn't thought it through. But on reflection I decided that I was spending at least 10% and possibly as much as 30% of my brainpower on reading, absorbing, appreciating and above all responding to various social media.  It was a big drain. So investigating whether it was worth it was definitely in order.  My ground rules - which I came up with after I had started - were no Twitter at all, check Facebook minimally and don't get involved on discussion threads on blogs.  (I have a number of people I need to keep in touch with who only use Facebook so I couldn't eliminate it entirely.)

First off, how did I do keeping to it?  I was able to stay off Twitter more or less, though you do find that some links you follow take you to it.  Facebook I have always found pretty resistible.   But sadly I did lapse a few times by adding my comments to discussions on blog posts.  Somehow I find I just can't resist adding my opinions to the debate sometimes even though I am pretty sure nobody cares what I think and am absolutely sure that I don't get any pleasure from the process. But the volume of this backsliding wasn't too bad, and not enough to spoil the exercise.

So what did I learn?  First off, that Twitter is the most addictive platform for me.  Several times I nearly gave in and I had frequent pangs.  I think I must be literally addicted to it in the clinical sense.  I found myself getting physical withdrawal symptoms.  They weren't extreme, but I did get twitches in my fingers when Twitter crossed my mind.  I had to remove all shortcuts from my desktop.  The rest I found I could live without with no real problem.

But my big question was is my Twitter habit squeezing out other things from my life that I value more - in particular is it interfering with my ability to make a living.  I have to say I think that it is.  My estimate of percentage of brain power absorbed is a lot nearer to 30% than 10%.  I found that I could get back to doing something productive a lot quicker after a break when I was off Twitter. I usually start off the day with a target for the amount of work I need to get done. For the last month I have had a much higher chance of hitting that target before the evening.  I think that is enough of a benefit.

On the other hand I do really enjoy Twitter, and I found that I was missing it for some good reasons. I like the humour - an hour spent on Twitter is often more entertaining than the same time spent watching television.

So the conclusion was reasonably easy when I thought about it.  Twitter is disruptive enough that I need to control my access to it.  I can't trust myself to have a quick 5 minutes on it during the day.  But I think it is something I do want in my life.  And in fact I enjoy it most when I can spend time on it, rather than have a quick look.  The other problem with it is the temptation to continually check it to see if anyone has responded to my latest tweet.  So I will restrict my Twitter access to the hours of 7 to 10 in the evening.  Also, with any tweet I choose to make which isn't topical, I'll schedule it in the future and forget about it.  That way I won't be tempted to check it so often. I will also look into site blocking software to put a block on using it outside these hours. I may not need this last step in the long run as I am pretty good at sticking to habits once I have established them, but Twitter does exert a powerful pull on me so I think I need to make it as easy as possible for myself.

The unattractiveness of Facebook is enough to ensure I don't overuse that.  This leaves blog comments.  I think I will simply continue my ban on them.  I have a feeling that I can live without them if I am getting a bit of Twitter.

All in all, the experiment was an interesting one.  I have found before that doing this kind of thing is a good way to learn the kind of person you really are.  I don't think of myself as skittish and easily distracted, but it turns out that that is exactly how I behave.  I have the kind of gravitas and self confidence that comes with getting into my fifties with a reasonably successful career and set of achievements.  But it turns out that I still have some of the traits of a teenager with attention deficit when I am at my computer and nobody is watching.  I also have some tendency to addictive behaviour as well - something that being a non-smoking, non drug using person who drinks very sparingly has blinded me to.  Not a bad set of lessons to draw from something I started doing pretty much on a whim.

No comments:

Post a Comment