Tuesday 29 March 2016

Dealing With Difficult Clients


I should start out with a disclaimer. If you happen to be a client of mine, please note that none of the remarks in this article relate to you.  I am of course talking about all my other clients.  You yourself are a paradigm of virtue and good sense and I am basically lucky to have you in my life at all and it is just a shame we can't work even closer.


Running a business would be a lot of fun if it weren't for the customers.  The saying goes that the customer is always right.  But that doesn't stop being awkward, rude, vague about their requirements and above all needy and with a highly developed sense of entitlement.

So how do we stop these bastards ruining our lives?  I think the first step is the simple one.  If someone looks like they are going to be a problem client, don't invite them into your life.  Once you have started accepting their money, or even worse if they owe you money, then there is not a great deal you can do about it. But get rid of them as soon as it is possible.

But if you really really can't get rid of them, do your best not to let them divert you from your own goals.  There is one mistake I make quite often. Indeed have just made it.  That is why I am writing this.  I sometimes respond to their provocations.  I have just spent 20 minutes that I can never get again pointing out to a client that the delays she is complaining about all stem from her own decisions.

I was indulging my ego at the expense of my bank balance.  I have already decided that I am getting out of this particular one as quickly as possible.  All I have done is waste my time.  If the client is behaving badly that is their problem not mine.

The other mistake that it is easy to make is to be too chummy.  You aren't in business to make friends so keep it professional. The last thing you should be doing with your work time is building a personal relationship.  It isn't even good business.  How often do you refer someone because you like them as a person?  And even when you do, you do it because they can do the job not because they are your friend.

The trick is to keep things friendly, but relatively  cool.  You aren't going to change anyone so just accept people for who they are and get on with the job - or don't accept them at all in the first place.


photo credit: One coffee, please! via photopin (license)

No comments:

Post a Comment