Saturday 7 June 2014

Fruit For Breakfast



When you wake up in the morning your blood sugar level is low and if you want to get started you need to get that glucose flowing in your blood.  What's the best solution to this?  The most widespread option is breakfast cereals.  These have the advantage of speed and convenience.  They certainly give you the sugar.  Many are very rich in the stuff indeed, particularly the ones that children seem to find most appealing.  But for shear pleasure you can't beat something hot and fried.  Bacon, egg and sausages are all a glorious start to the day.  But if you want to get things done, I don't think you can beat fruit.


I have been trying various different breakfast strategies recently.   I won't deny that the fry up is the one that brings me the greatest joy.  But until I have servants there is the inevitable fact that it takes a long time to prepare and to clear up from afterwards.  There is also the fact that having eaten a good breakfast you do feel like relaxing afterwards.  Great for a Sunday, not so great when you are trying to make a dent on a to do list.

Breakfast cereals are certainly quick to prepare - you can get your pancreas up and running pretty quickly.  What I find though is that while eating cereals does get my levels of alertness up quickly, it isn't an effect that lasts and I am looking for a snack within a couple of hours.  Also, eating a bowl of cereals does require a lot of your attention.

But basically, the best thing to do when you get up is get working.  The quickest, easiest and least disruptive option is a couple of pieces of fruit.  I find an apple and a banana is enough of an energy source to have me fit for heavy mental duties within a quarter of an hour.  I can also eat them while I am reading or even writing.  They also don't generate any washing up.  I recommend them.

Photo credit: libraryman via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment