Friday 25 April 2014

Getting Up Early



One of the big differences between being self employed and having a job is that I can stay in bed as long as I want to in the morning.  I have always been an early riser, and used to typically get up in plenty of time to go to work.  Normally I set my alarm for 6am and would be out of bed by 7am.


But was this long ingrained habit still necessary now I was free to set my own hours.  Given that what I do requires a lot of thought, I imagined it might be more optimal to simply listen to my body.  So I have been basically getting up when I felt like it.  This resulted in me not really starting my working day until about 9.30 am.  But I worked later than before so it seemed okay.  But what I found was that although I was awake for the same amount of time and putting in rather more working hours I really wasn't getting the important stuff done.

I switched to setting my alarm for 7.00 am.  This is an improvement, but  I am still not happy.  I am now working fairly normal hours but I am sure I can get more done.  My aim is to carve out a new time slot in my day.  I will get out of bed, do some exercise and then get down to two hours solid work at my desk before any distractions arise.  Ideally I can then have breakfast and then have a normal chaotic day of interruptions and changing priorities in the knowledge that I have had a couple of productive hours already.  Then the evening can be reserved for relaxation, reading and writing for pleasure.

Can I do this with a 6.00 am start?  With 30 mins to go for a run and get dressed, that should work.  I can then have a shower and a relaxed breakfast and still start my regular work day at 9.30 am.  As it happens I have a very disrupted week ahead next week as I have two conferences to go to.  That actually works well - because I can do some experiments and I have the long weekend with the Bank Holiday, so I can aim to have my new pattern established by the Tuesday.

Steve is worth reading on the subject of getting up early.

photo credit: JeromeG111 via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment