Wednesday 7 September 2011

Changing Focus

Here is a problem.

I sit down and focus on something I want or need to do. Lets say it is writing this blog post - it is as good an example as any.   I want to get it done in 15 minutes, which is a reasonable investment of time for what I want to get out of it.   I completely clear my brain of everything else and as I am good at using my time I succeed in reaching my goal of a completed blog post in the time I have allotted to it.

So far so good.


The problem comes when it is finished, posted and sitting there as a reference for the future. What I should do is change focus immediately to the next thing I want to work on.  What I tend to do is find lots of reasons not to change focus.  Should I do a quick review for spelling errors for instance.  And is there a better way of putting some of the stuff I have written.  Worse of all, for blog posts on the blogs I am actively promoting, how many people have read it?

Feedback is good and seeking it out is a good use of time, but I don't want to make it the tail wagging the dog.  It should be a means to an end not an end in itself. It is so easy to spend as long fiddling around after completing something rather than changing focus to the next priority.

I think that this is probably my biggest single problem after procrastination.  I am steadily beating procrastination.  I think I need to address the issue of lost time while changing focus as my next time management challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment