Monday 12 September 2011

Further Research on Procrastination

In my continuing quest to crack my procrastination I have just listened to http://iprocrastinate.libsyn.com/leveraging_self_control_an_interesting_strategy_for_coping_with_procrastination 

I also did a pretty nifty mind map of it.   The basic idea is ridiculously simple.  You set yourself a goal, say doing 15 minutes hoovering a night.   Then if you don't meet it, you punish yourself by say missing a TV programme you want to watch.  Say for instance QI.

It shouldn't work in theory, because if you don't have the willpower to do the hoovering, why should you have the willpower to apply the punishment?  But it seems that it can work because you selectively procrastinate.  I.e., you procrastinate over certain things even though your overall level of willpower is fine.

Well this is one I have to try, so this week I aim to do 15 minutes of housework a day every evening.  If I fail - no QI on Friday.  Let's see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment