Monday 5 September 2011

Why I am going back to a written journal

I have a blue hard back book with lined paper that I use to keep a journal. In recent years I have tended to only use it for things that only writing would do for.  Keeping notes on television programmes that interest me for example.  Or things where I need to do a lot of drawing.  But I have decided I am going back to using it as the default record keeper, and only use my laptop for things that I can't do on paper.

This will be a lot less convenient.  I type faster than I write.  A laptop is easier to use in a lot of contexts. particularly where the light is poor.  And the ability to correct and search for stuff is unparalleled.   And as I am an avid cloud computer fan it is even safer.  As long as Google and Evernote don't go bust my thoughts and jottings are secure for ever.

So why the change.

The theory is that the act of writing stuff keys it in to my head much more securely.  I am engaging a lot more muscles and concentration in three dimensions than I do on my laptop screen.  While this makes it a longer process it may also make an experience that goes deeper into my head.  For things like goals and planning this should be a lot more beneficial. Lets see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment