Monday 12 May 2014

A Media Diet


I am and have always been a bit of a news junkie.  One of the first things I do in the morning is check the newspaper online.  I typically wake up to news on the radio, so by the time I am doing that I already have an idea of the main events and I am looking for comment and analysis.  I have well thought out opinions on most of the major issues of the day.  This is all something that is so deeply ingrained in me that to do any different seems not only unthinkable, but almost a betrayal of my being.


So when I read Tim Ferris' 4 Hour Work Week two years ago the bit where he suggested giving up following the news was the bit that really did not sink in.  Quite apart from anything else, it would mean knowing less about current affairs than other people.  I simply didn't think I could bear that.

But time rolls on, and although I rejected the suggestion as something to consciously take up I have a feeling it resonated somewhere deep down.  I have been, without thinking too much about it, cutting down on my news consumption.  I have dropped back a lot on directly following news stories.  I have sort of rationalised this by coming to the conclusion that I am better informed by taking the longer view.

But what would be the consequences of giving up following the news altogether?  Would that free up time and more importantly brain power for things closer to home that are more important?  It is a thought.  For example I don't think anyone is going to consult me on the plan I have formed for sorting out the current crisis in Nigeria so maybe I would be happier if I had devoted that energy to sorting out my shed.

It seems worth a try.  I can live without my news addiction for a couple of weeks at any rate and see what effect it has.  I can already chalk up one thing to it - I wouldn't have done this blog post at this time of day if I had been reading the paper.

Photo credit: Miguel Pires da Rosa via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment