Sunday 18 May 2014

Write A Blog Post In 15 Minutes

How Quickly Can You Write A Blog Post?
If there is anyone it is possible to fool, it is yourself.  I have just set out to write a blog post in 15 minutes.  In the event it took 40 minutes.  The interesting thing is that if I hadn't timed it I may well have continued to believe that it had only taken 15 minutes.  That is a planning error of 260% of which I would have been totally unaware.  No wonder time is such tricky stuff to manage and why none of us do it as well as we would like.


So I have set myself the challenge of actually writing a blog post in 15 minutes.  I don't think there is anything magic in the figure of 15 minutes.  It is just an exercise in working to a time budget.  If I saw this blog as my major income source I would certainly be looking at taking longer to produce better quality posts than can be done in quarter of an hour.   Nonetheless, even if you have a more serious purpose you can't allow yourself unlimited time.

The first thing I did differently was to sort out the illustration, tags and scheduling as the first task rather than the last one.  This gave me a bit more thinking time.

I am also keeping a close eye on the time as I go along.  For example all the non-writing tasks came to 8 minutes, leaving only 9 for actual content. This is giving me a sense of urgency I don't usually have when writing.

Next I have written the last sentence - I can now get in as many pertinent points before my time is up.

Basically the amount of time I had left for actual musing was only about two minutes, and there isn't much you can do in that short a time.

So as my timer ticks away the last few seconds all I need to do now is make sure I hit the final full stop.




Photo credit: blakespot via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment