Tuesday 13 May 2014

Build Habits One Step At A Time



I am feeling a bit frustrated this morning.  Despite getting up on target and despite starting the day with a decent exercise routine, I am still procrastinating at getting started doing actual productive stuff.  My ideal is to be clearing important items off my todo list before 7.00 am and here I am only just getting going on my personal development blog - at just before.   These posts take me about 20 minutes so that is another target missed.


It is surprising how quickly we take our achievements for granted.  The week before last I was still in bed at 9.00am more often than not.  Even this week I have only managed to get up at 6.00 for three days running so far.  I think I can get this habit bedded in this month and start pushing it back to 5.00 next month - which is June when the days are long.  And yet I am discontented because I am already taking the productivity gain of early rising for granted and not happy that it isn't yet delivering.

Oh well, that is the way us humans think.

The moral is simple.  We can't do everything at once.  Changing habits takes time, and our bodies and minds resist the change.  You can only paint a room one brush stroke at a time.

Getting up early is a great productivity boost.   Take it.  When that is mastered work on increasing the amount you get out of the time created.

Concentrate on changing one habit at a time.



Photo credit: mikelo via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment