Sunday 4 May 2014

Getting Back Into A Routine

I enjoyed seeing in May Day at 6.00 am in Oxford
I shouldn't be too hard on myself.  Over the last three days I have driven to Birmingham, given a talk there, driven to Oxford where I got up a 4.30am and then spent a couple of hours celebrating May Day at the crack of dawn followed by a long day of interesting but demanding lectures and drove home again not getting back until gone 8.  Perhaps it isn't that surprising that I got up late this morning and although I have made some progress, it is nearly 11 and I still not actually working.



My desire to get back to work is largely because I have a large backlog and people are waiting on me, and I want to get some work finished and invoiced for cash flow reasons.  In reality I think it would have been a lot more realistic to have scheduled today as a rest and recreation day.  Being on the move is a draining process and it really makes most sense to thoroughly rest yourself after a business trip.

I will put this one down to experience.  The work I have to do simply has to be done and I can't put it off much longer.

In the longer run, the lesson is simple.

It is important to keep on top performance when you are working, so your strategy needs to be to create time to rest and recuperate.  Even during the First World War generals found the resources to give their troops a rest from the front line.  If rest is that important during a national emergency, it needs be part of your plan.

Rest is as important as anything else.


No comments:

Post a Comment