Sunday 25 May 2014

What Impact Are You Having?



One Sunday I bought a stereo.  This was back in the nineties when I was living in a flat above a hardware shop.  I set it up fiddled with the dials and then got distracted.  I was consequently unaware that I had turned the volume switch up to full and set a timer.   For the rest of that week I was totally unaware that every day at 2.00pm my new possession was blasting out the Byrds' Greatest Hits.


It caused quite a stir in my little locality.  The people in the shop by the third time attempted to break into the flat to turn it off - they had plenty of tools but couldn't get in.  My actions had a big impact that I knew nothing about.

I wonder how often we do things that we wouldn't do if we knew the result.  For example, what is the harm of mocking someone with a fake tan?  But if they decide that they will switch from the safe fake tan to a cancer inducing sun bed you might be shortening their life.

I think that there are probably a lot of consequences that flow from things we do that we rarely if ever find out about.

I don't know what they are though.

No comments:

Post a Comment